Some living rooms are dark by design, and others are simply dark due to the color of the furniture or walls. Whichever pertains to you, the question remains, how do you decorate a dark living room?
The answer to this question depends on whether your space got initially designed as such or if it became that way over time. You can achieve your dream scheme with some consideration and ideas. To accomplish this task, follow these steps to decorate your dark living room.
- 1 5 Dark Living Room Ideas
- 2 9 Stylish Pieces To Add That Warm Glow
- 3 Ways You Can Decorate a Black Wall
- 4 How to Brighten Up a Dark Living Room Without Overdoing It?
- 5 What Color of Walls Go With Dark Wood Trim?
5 Dark Living Room Ideas
When it comes to interior design, dark colors are pretty popular. Dark colors look rich and sophisticated, making them an ideal choice for any living room. Dark colors are often associated with masculinity and power.
However, using dark colors in your home doesn’t have to mean meticulously choosing only deep shades. Instead, you can add depth to your space by using lighter shades of dark colors as accent colors or highlights.
There are plenty of ways to create beautiful results when using dark colors. For instance, you can use lighter or mid-toned shades for the main body of the furniture. Or, you can choose lighter accents such as pillows or fabric that coordinates with your leading color choice.
1. Light and Dark Tones
While some people feel that darker colors make a room more serious and mature, you don’t have to use only deep hues if you don’t want to. Darker tones also look rich and sophisticated when used as accents or highlights rather than as the main focus of a space.
Plus, lighter tones can make a room feel warmer and more inviting when used indoors instead of outdoors, where they tend to look colder. This is because light and dark tones appear warmer than white versus cool black and grey objects on indoor versus outdoor décor.
For example, warm sand browns look rich and inviting on chairs rather than stark grey ones used outdoors since warm browns appear richer on indoor objects than warm grey ones used outdoors on outdoor décor.
2. Dark Bedroom
Darker tones also make excellent bedroom choices, typically associated with nighttime coolness. However, avoid using too many black furnishings in a bedroom since this creates a lack of contrast, making it difficult for the room to look cozy at night.
Instead of black furnishings in the bedroom, opt for warm bedding sets that coordinate with your chosen color scheme while adding warmth into the bedroom instead of coolness.
By combining warm bedding sets with warm furniture such as couches or recliners, you’ll create the perfect atmosphere for resting during the night while feeling cozy at the same time.
3. Dark Colored Accents
Dark colors look rich and sophisticated when used as accents rather than as the main focus of space due to how well they compliment lighter tones when done this way.
On the other hand, if you wish to create drama in your living room, there are plenty of ways to choose darker shades such as black or browns that coordinate well with lighter accents such as white furnishings.
While there is no “wrong” choice when choosing interior design trends, opting for darker tones instead can yield just as desirable results in some cases.
4. Use Dark Furniture
A dark living room idea is to use dark furniture in your space. Choose soft leather chairs, ottomans, sofas, and tables to give your living room a relaxing feel. Dark wood furniture also looks great in a dark space as it balances the light furnishings.
Black, red, and gray are great colors for a dark living room as they look warm and cool simultaneously. Dark wall paint also looks gorgeous on a white or light wall; choose one that complements your other decorating ideas.
5. Black Artwork
Another fantastic dark living room idea is to hang black artwork on your walls. This makes your space look more affluent and more sophisticated than one with white pieces. Choose black throw pillows to complete the look and add some extra warmth to your seating choices.
A black coffee table is also an excellent addition in front of your chairs. You can jazz up this design by adding some cozy throw blankets to add extra warmth under your chairs during the winter months.
Read related articles:
–Maximalist Interior Design: The Best Guide To Maximalist Interior Decor
–Do silk pillowcase really benefit your skin? Here are 11 benefits of silk pillowcase you will love to know
–15 Best Carpet Cleaning Machines And Professionals
9 Stylish Pieces To Add That Warm Glow
Your dark living room doesn’t have to feel like a cave. With the right pieces, you can create a warm and inviting space that is both stylish and functional. Here are nine elements that will help you achieve your dream scheme
–Tealights with floral arrangements on bookshelves or side tables.
–Area rugs for comfort and warmth.
-Artwork or mirrors with light behind them to reflect light into the room.
-Wall hangings or other decors.
Ways You Can Decorate a Black Wall
- Create a focal point – use artwork, a striking piece of furniture, or even an area rug to create a focal point in the room. This will help the eye know where to rest and add interest to the space.
- Layer lighting – overhead lighting is excellent, but it can leave a room feeling flat. Add table lamps, floor lamps, and even string lights to give the room dimension and depth. (You could also try making your candle-light chandelier with battery-operated tea lights).
- Play with textures – one way to make a dark room feel light and airy is by playing with different textures on the walls and floors.
- Bring in natural light – natural light should be used whenever possible, as it will instantly brighten up any dark living room. Consider installing skylights, a wall of windows, or adding more windows to let more light into the room.
- Stick with warm colors – cool colors can seem chilly in dark rooms, so stick with warmer tones like reds and oranges for contrast.
- Choose larger furniture pieces – because there are fewer natural light sources in darker rooms, larger furniture pieces may be necessary for comfort and function.
How to Brighten Up a Dark Living Room Without Overdoing It?
Whether because of wood paneling or darker furniture, it’s easy to overdo lighting and go overboard with decor items if you have a dark living room. Luckily, using these tips below, you can brighten up your living room without going overboard on the brightness and spending too much money.
Use colors you already have
- Begin by decluttering and deep cleaning the room. This will help you to see the space with fresh eyes. It will also allow you to eliminate anything weighing the room down.
- Once the room is clean, look at your furniture and decide if there’s anything that could be replaced or reupholstered in a lighter color.
- If you have any dark curtains or blinds, consider replacing them with something lighter. Remember that it can sometimes be difficult to find curtains and drapes in colors other than black, brown, gray, or navy blue, so ordering online may be necessary.
- Add some greenery like plants or flowers. These can also come in light colors, so don’t worry about sticking strictly to greens.
Add an accent wall
To add more natural light:
- Try painting one wall with a brighter color or accenting that wall with wallpaper.
- If you have room for furniture in front of the window, move it away from the wall so that natural light can shine through.
- Incorporate colorful accents.
Accents like throw pillows, vases, or paintings can be a great way to add some much-needed color. Another idea is to hang some art on the opposite wall from where windows are located (or place mirrors across from them) to bounce natural light back into the room – especially if it faces south.
Add lamps and other lighting
One of the easiest ways to brighten up a dark living room is to add lamps and other forms of lighting. This will not only brighten up the room but also create a more inviting atmosphere. Another way to brighten the room is to paint the walls a light color. This will reflect light and make the room appear larger.
Consider colors for your next decor project
Go for light and airy colors reflecting light and making the space feel more open. Second, add in some greenery. Start with a neutral base. If your walls are dark, consider painting them a lighter shade to help brighten the space.
Plants can help add life to the space and make it feel more inviting. Third, use light-colored furniture and accessories. This will help balance out the room’s darkness and make it feel more cohesive.
Pick furniture colors based on your flooring
You might consider using light-colored furniture if you have dark wood floors. White, cream and light gray are all excellent choices. You could also go with a brighter color like yellow or red but be careful not to overdo it.
The last thing you want is a living room that feels too busy or overwhelming. Your next step should be to pick paint colors for the walls. You can choose from any number of colors based on your taste and preference, but we recommend picking something bright (again, don’t overdo it).
What Color of Walls Go With Dark Wood Trim?
You don’t have to go all out and paint your walls white to brighten up a dark living room. There are plenty of other colors that will work just as well. Here are a few of our favorites
-Lavender: a light purple hue with undertones of gray, it’s perfect for those who want something softer than the traditional white but still warm enough to contrast with the dark wood trim.
-Ivory: this pastel hue can be used in small doses on one wall or as an accent to keep it from feeling too plain. If you’re not into anything too light, you can always opt for a more classic cream color.
Finally, there is always the option of adding some natural elements like greenery and flowers, which are known to help open spaces.
In summary, dark wall paint looks classy and sophisticated on a white or light wall, so choose that color wisely. Creating a dark living room isn’t very difficult; it requires some thoughtfulness when choosing interior decorating ideas.
Also, read our latest articles:
–The Ultimate Guide to Selling On Thredup: How Does Thredup Work & Why Sell Clothes On Thredup?
–Smart Lipo: What Is Smart Lipo Cosmetics Surgery? Cost, Recovery, Aftercare, Side Effects, And Difference
–Bikini Line: The Best Methods For Hair Removal On Your Bikini Line